The 2018-2019 School year begins on August 20, 2018!
Registration begins on March 12, 2018.
School of Choice Applications will be accepted from March 12 - March 23, 2018, at 4:00 p.m.
Registration for 2018-2019 will begin on March 12, 2018 and continue through June 29, 2018. Registration will re-open on August 10, 2018 for the 2018-2019 school year.
Registration for elementary and high schools will take place 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Monday-Friday.
School of Choice (Now Closed)
The District supports the rights of parents and guardians to participate in a process to select a District school for their child, other than their school of residence, based on space and/or program availability.
The School of Choice Process
- Applications for School of Choice (SOC) will be available and accepted at all school sites and the District Office from Monday, March 12, 2018 through Friday, March 23, 2018 until 4:00 P.M. No exceptions.
- No emails or faxes will be accepted.
- SOC selections shall be made through a non-biased random selection process of those applications that are timely, complete, and appropriate.
- The following schools are anticipated to have space available: Stephen Foster, Thomas Jefferson, Esther Lindstrom, Ernie Pyle, Ramona, Washington, Craig Williams, and Frank E. Woodruff Elementary Schools
- The result of the selection process will be mailed out no later than April 13, 2018.
Other Important Information
- Transportation is not provided for any student approved for SOC.
- You need to submit an application for SOC if your child is currently in Transitional Kindergarten and you want your child to attend a school that is not their school of residence.
- You need to submit an application for SOC if you have a child that will be entering Kindergarten and you want them to attend a school other than their school of residence.
- There is no need to reapply if your child is currently on a SOC authorization and you wish to remain at the same school. If you want to change schools, then an application is required.
For further questions or concerns regarding SOC, please contact the Business Services office at (562) 866-9011 ext. 2134.
Available at all BUSD schools.
For students turning 5 on or before September 1, 2018, registration takes place at the residence school. To identify your residence school, select the School Address List option on the left. For more information on Kindergarten enrollment, select any of the links below.
Available at Criag Williams, Ernie Pyle, Esther Lindstrom, Stephen Foster, Washington, and Las Flores Educational Center. These sites are subject to change based on student enrollment.
If your child is too young to start kindergarten in August, they might be eligible for the Transitional Kindergarten program. To be eligible, your child must turn (5) five years old beween September 2, 2018 and December 2, 2018. You must fill out the registration form, provide proof of residence, proof of student's date of birth, and immunization records. If enrollment exceeds capacity, students will be selected through a lottery process. The Transitional Kindergarten class will begin on August 20, 2018. Transportation will not be provided for students attending Transitional Kindergarten. For more information, contact the Office of Business Services at 562-866-9011, ext. 2134.
Jump Start Kindergarten
If your child was too young for kindergarten in August, he/she might be eligible for the Jump Start Kindergarten Program. Below are the requirements for the program.
- Your child must turn five years old between December 3, 2018 and February 4, 2019.
- You must sign up your child at Craig Williasm Elementary School between Monday, December 3rd and Friday, December 14th during regular office hours of 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Students will be selected for participation on a first come first served basis. If enrollment does not meet the minimum of 20 children, the program will not operate this school year. The program will be offererd at Craig Williams, but is open to all students in BUSD.
- The Jump Start class will begin on January 28, 2019.
- Transportation will not be provided for students attending Jump Start Kindergarten.
For more information, contact the office of Business Services at 562-866-9011 ext. 2134.
Available at the Intensive Learning Center and Washington Elementary
Spring enrollment for the Dual Immersion Program for students turning 5 on or before September 1, 2018, will begin on March 12, 2018 at the Intensive Learning Center and Washington Elementary Schools.
Student Registration documents can be accessed below in both English and Spanish. Documents are specially formatted so that information can be entered directly onto the forms before printing. Once your registration form is complete and printed, it can be taken to your school of residence. To identify your residence school, select the School Address List option on the left.
This is a program designed for students to develop bilingual/biliterate skills in English and Spanish while attaining grade level standards as well as 21st century skills. Students will be selected on a first come, first serve basis in alignment with program needs and requirements.
Home Education Independent Study Academy
Available at Las Flores Educational Center
This program offers families the option to partially or fully home school their children in grades TK-12. For further information, please contact the Home Education Independent Study Academy at 562-804-6565.
Student Registration documents can be accessed in the menu on the left in both English and Spanish. Documents are specially formatted so that information can be entered directly onto the forms before printing. Once your registration form is complete and printed, it can be taken to your school of residence. To identify your residence school, select the D.O.R. option to the left.
General Student Registration Information
Birth Certificate - Student must be 5 years old by September 1st of the current year. If you are not a parent, documentation from the court must be provided and taken to the Bellflower District Office - Child, Welfare & Attendance Office. A Caregiver's Affidavit Form will need to be completed. Call 562-866-9011, ext. 2070 for appointments and information.
Elementary Health History/Medications - If your student needs to take medicine during school hours, parent/guardian must have an authorization form that is completed by the child's physician. The form is available in the office. All medications must come in the pharmacy-labeled box with the physician's medical authorization.
California Immunization Record - All students must show proof of all required immunizations before entering school.
Physical form for School Entry - Mandatory for transitional/jumpstart kindergarten, kindergarten, and first gade. Physicals must be dated on or after March 1 of the currrent year. Physician's office must be stamped on the physical form with address and phone number indicated.
Kindgergarten or 1st grade Oral Health Assessment - Mandatory for transitional/jumpstart kindergarten, kindergarten or first grade (if new to public school in 1st grade). Oral health evaluations that occurred within the 12 months prior to school entry meet this requirement.
Home Language Survey - If your child's native language is not English, he/she will be required to take a language test. Please call the Language Assessment Center for appointments at 562-804-7633. The Language Assessment Center is located at 9301 Flower Street, Bellflower, CA 90706
Proof of Residency - Two current utility bills in the parent's/guardian's name with the current address: gas, electric, or water. Telephone bills, cellular bills, cable bills, and disconnection notices are not acceptable. Also needed is a valid Driver's License or California ID with the current address. If your license or ID does not have a current address, a change of address must be done at the department of Motor Vehicles (brown cards are not acceptable). If the utility bills are not in the parent's/guardian's name, a Statement of Residence form must be filled out. The following are requirements to complete the Statement of Residence:
Parent/Guardian must bring in the following:
- Two pieces of official mail received at the stated address (insurance bills, AFDC or other state documents, bank statements, automobile registration forms, mail forwarded by the Post Office, etc.). Personal mail, telephone bills, or cellular bills are not acceptable
- Valid California Driver's License or California ID with the stated address.
Owner/Renter must bring in the following:
- Two current utility bills in the owner's/renter's name (gas, electric, or water only - no telephone, cable, cellular bills or disconnection notices).
- Valid California Driver's License or California ID with the stated address.
Both the parent/guardian and the owner/renter must appear in person, present the required original documents for photocopying, and sign the Statement of Residence form in the presence of office personnel at the school office. This form is renewed yearly or upon request. Three or more home visits may be made at the discretion of the school to verify residence of the above family. If you do not have the referenced documents or have questions/concerns, please contact the Bellflower Unified School District - Child Welfare & Attendance Office at 562-866-9011, ext 2070.
Students cannot be enrolled in school until packets are complete.
*Southern California Edison Company 800-684-8123
** The Gas Company 800-427-2200
Acrobat reader is required to access the documents on this page. If you have not already done so, you can download the free Acrobat reader here. Alternatively, you can stop by the school in your area and pick-up the necessary documents at the school office. Some browsers do not allow PDF documents to be filled out online. If that is the case, download the documents to your PC and then open them.
Acceptable Internet Use Agreement
The Acceptable Internet Use Agreement outlines the fact that student use of the district network is a privilege. As such, users of our network are obligated to meet expectations for appropriate use. The document outlines acceptable and prohibited use of the network, network etiquette, security, and vandalism. Students and parents should review the attached document carefully and will be required to submit signatures in the appropriate section of the registration packet prior to a student gaining access to the network.
Annual Notifications are a mandated document that inform families of important rules and procedures that influence the day to day business of the education program. An example of some of the information included in this document are guidelines on attendance, authorization for medication, and pupil records. They are provided in the menu to the left in both English and Spanish.