**Para traducir esto al español, haga clic en "Translate" en la esquina superior derecha.**
Click here for a Printable Copy of the COVID Waiver
To: BUSD Parents/Guardians:
RE: Outdoor and Indoor Youth Sports Program Update
Effective February 26, 2021, the District is able to return to competition. To ensure Bellflower Unified School District (BUSD) continues to remain compliant with all federal, state, and local health requirements and guidelines, you are required to read, sign, and return the form located on the last page prior to your child practicing for competition or competing. As always, participation in District athletics is strictly voluntary.
COVID-19 is a new disease and information regarding risk factors associated with this disease is limited. At this time, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) believes that people of all ages are at risk of experiencing severe symptoms from COVID-19, though older adults and people with serious underlying health conditions may be at a higher risk. While the District has undertaken protective measures to reduce the risk of COVID-19, unfortunately, it is impossible to guarantee protection from all risk associated with COVID-19 exposure. Due to the nature and risk of transmission while participating in Outdoor High-Contact sports, we are sharing the following information as required regarding the increased risk to minors participating in such sports.
Factors Affecting the Risk of Transmission Practicing for Competition or Competing
- Risk increases when face coverings are not worn, and physical distancing is not maintained.
- Risk increases with increasing levels of contact between participants; closer contact (particularly face-to-face contact), and the frequency and total duration of close contact, increases the risk that respiratory particles will be transmitted between participants.
- Risk increases with greater exertion levels; greater exertion increases the rate of breathing and the quantity of air that is inhaled and exhaled with every breath.
- Risk increases with mixing of cohorts and groups, particularly when from different communities (during or outside of sports play); mixing with more people increases the risk that an infectious person will be present.
Participants and coaches of High-Contact sports (Football and Water Polo) will be required to test weekly while practicing and competing. Testing must be on file prior to competing and valid for 7 calendar days and must be on file at least 24 hours prior to practicing or competing. Athletes will not be allowed to practice and/or compete without a negative COVID-19 test on file at least 24 hours prior to practicing or competing.
BUSD provides on-site testing clinic at Bellflower High School (Nutrition Center) and Mayfair High School every Monday and Tuesday.
Registration is required for testing. The testing is done via self-swabbing of nostrils. The location of these tests will be facilities by each school.
At the end of this form, you will have the opportunity to decline or give your consent for your child to be tested for COVID-19.
FACE COVERINGS/PHYSICAL DISTANCING
Irrespective of setting (outdoor or indoor) case rate or sport played, the following general guidance requirements must be adhered to at all times:
- Face coverings to be worn when not participating in the activity (e.g., on the sidelines).
- Face coverings to be worn by coaches, support staff and observers at all times, and in compliance with the CDPH Guidance for the Use of Face Coverings. https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/CDPH%20Document%20Library/COVID-19/Guidance-for-Face-Coverings_06-18-2020.pdf
- Observers maintain at least 6 feet from non-household members.
- No sharing of drink bottles and other personal items and equipment.
- Coaches, participants, support staff, and observers may not bring food to practice and/or competitions.
- Mixing with other households prior to and post any practice or competition must strictly adhere to current gathering guidance.
- Limit indoor sports activities (practice, conditioning) to comply with capacity limits (which shall include all athletes, coaches, and observers) indicated in current CDPH Gym & Fitness Center Guidance Capacity. https://files.covid19.ca.gov/pdf/guidance-fitness--en.pdf
- Associated indoor activities for the team (e.g., dinners, film study) are prohibited if engaged in competition given evidence that transmission is more likely to occur in these indoor higher risk settings.
- Teams must not participate in out of state games and tournaments; several multistate outbreaks have been reported around the nation, including California residents.
HYGIENE AND SANITATION
BUSD will continue with increased hygiene and sanitation measures at all BUSD sites. When equipment is shared during an activity, participants perform hand hygiene (wash hands with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer) before play, during breaks, at half time, and after the conclusion of the activity. Balls or other objects or equipment can be touched by multiple players during practice and play if the above hand hygiene practices are followed.
Athletes must ride in the school arranged transportation to and from the athletic contests. The coach may release an athlete directly to the parent at the end of the contest. Only team members and support personnel are to ride the bus.
- For athletics, immediate household members may observe practices and games as needed for age-appropriate supervision, but observers should be limited to ensure physical distance can be maintained, reduce potential crowding, as well as maintain indoor and outdoor capacity limits allowed by Tiers.
- Maximum number of observers per athlete is four.
- Observers will be limited to available space.
- Observers are permitted to bring their own chairs.
- Observers are encouraged to bring their own drinking water. Masks should be replaced immediately after the drinking of water.
- Food is not allowed.
- Observers must stay at least 6 feet from non-household members at all times.
- Observers are expected to remain within their household pod at all times and refrain from interacting with non-household pods.
- Observers must wear face coverings at all times.
- Observers who do not comply will be asked to leave the premises.
Return a signed copy of this form to your student’s coach prior to any practice and/or competition.
1)TESTING (For the following BUSD sports only: (Football)
________ I agree to allow my child to be tested weekly for COVID-19 nostril swab infection (Corona Virus). I understand and agree that the tests results will be recorded and shared as necessary in order to meet the State’s requirement for competing.
________ I do not agree to allow my child to be tested weekly for COVID-19 nostril swab infection (Corona Virus) in order to meet the State’s requirement for competing and therefore acknowledge that my child will not compete.
_________ Does not apply because my child does not play football.
2)ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND UNDERSTANDING
Cancellation of practice and/or competitions, as well as the possibility of teams isolating for 2 weeks, may happen with little notice as a result of knowledge that a coach or athlete has contracted COVID-19.
My and my student’s signatures below indicate that we have read this acknowledgement and agreement form, that we understand the increased risks associated with high-contact sports, that I agree to allow my student to participate, and that we agree to continue to comply with all Bellflower Unified School District protocols implemented as part of the partial reinstatement of the athletics program, including the signed Release and Waiver of Liability and Indemnity Agreement on file.
Parent/Guardian Signature Date
Student Signature Date
Student Name Student DOB