Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

Special Education

The Special Education department provides the students in BUSD who have special needs the necessary supports to help them achieve a high school diploma or certificate of completion. 

For more information on the specific supports the District offers, please visit your school site office or contact the office of Special Education.

Parent Rights and Procedural Safeguards

Alternative Dispute Resolution

Mid-Cities SELPA



Special Education

16703 S. Clark Ave., Bellflower, CA  90706

(562) 866-9011 ext. 2020


The First Step in Helping Children with Special Needs is to find them!

The Bellflower Unified School District is looking for all children and youth from birth to 21 years of age with special needs who may not be receiving the help needed to obtain a high school diploma or certificate of completion.

In some circumstances, services may begin at birth and continue until age 22.

Children and youth with:

  • Physical disabilities
  • Emotional disabilities
  • Intellectual disabilities

Children and youth suspected of having a disability who are:

  • Highly mobile/migrant and/or homeless
  • Advancing from grade to grade

Special Education Programs and Services

Bellflower Unified School District has a variety of Special Education programs aimed at serving students with the following disabilities:

  • Specific Learning Disability
  • Deaf & Hard of Hearing
  • Visual Impairment
  • Intellectual Disability
  • Orthopedic Impairment
  • Autism
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Speech & Language Disorder
  • Emotional Disturbance
  • Other Health Impairment
  • Multiple Disabilities


What should I do if my student is struggling at school?

You should contact your child's teacher and request a Student Success Team (SST) meeting.  This team oriented meeting is designed to explore a variety of interventions and differentiated strategies to meet your student's unique learning style and needs.

Once the team has exhausted interventions, the team may make a referral for special education assessment.  Parent consent is required prior to any assessment taking place.

A parent/educational rights holder may request an assessment at any time.  The request should be put in writing and include the suspected areas of need.  The request should be dated and submitted to the school or District Office  in the Special Education Department.

Parents have many rights.  Please ask you school for a copy of the Parents' Rights and Procedural Safeguards, or obtain a copy from the link to the left labeled Parents' Rights and Procedural Safeguards.

Infant Referrals

Bellflower Unified School District (BUSD) serves infants from birth to age three with low incidence disabilities (vision impairment, hearing impairment, and severe orthopedic impairment).  Parents and community members may contact the Special Education Department at 562-866-9011 in order to make a referral or inquire about our services.

Private School Students

Parents of students attending private schools within the boundaries of the Bellflower Unified School District may make a request for assessment if they suspect that their child has a disability.

Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA)

Bellflower Unified School District is part of the Mid-Cities Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA).  Both entities are committed to serving the educational needs of students within its boundaries.

The SELPA operates the Community Advisory Committee (CAC).  CAC meetings provide families with the opportunity to:

  • Hear about what is happening in special education
  • Provide public input about what concerns them
  • Learn how to become more involved
  • Meet other families

For more information, contact Mid-Cities SELPA at 562-866-9011 ext. 2050

Services offered at BUSD are individualized to meet the student's needs and will be provided at no extra cost to the parent/guardian or the adult student.