Record a Video
Now that the Record extension is fully set up, you're ready to start recording ⏺. There are a few options that you should familiarize yourself with.
- Record your browser tab: This option is perfect if you only want to show your viewers what's happening on one specific tab in Chrome. We use this option most when we want to record over a Google Slides presentation, for example.
- Record your desktop: Use this option when you want to show your viewer something outside Chrome (like a PowerPoint) or if you think you'll switch between multiple tabs and/or programs.
- Record your webcam: This option is perfect when you just want to speak directly to your audience, no screen involved.
Note: It's possible to capture the audio from a webpage or computer program (for example the audio from a YouTube video on screen). To do that, you'll need to enable Tab Audio (in a tab recording) or System Audio (in a desktop recording). Both options are available under "Show More Options" before you begin a recording.
Edit a Video
Sometimes, you need your recording to be perfect! For those instances, you may want to check out our editing options from our browser-based Editor.
- Access the editor: You can click the “Open in Editor” button from any recording which will automatically load your video clip, or click on the “Edit” option from your Record extension’s Main Menu.
- Add clips: From the Editor, you can use the blue "+" button on the bottom right to add videos into the timeline. (You can add non-Screencastify videos into the editor too!)
- Crop, trim, zoom, and add text: Use the options on the bottom left to make your video perfect. Crop the video to show only a certain portion of the screen. Use the cut tool to remove that unfortunate few seconds. Zoom in and out of specific parts of your video. Add text to make your videos even more engaging.
Share Your Video
Once your video is perfect, there are tons of ways to share your recording with students, parents, or anyone else with an internet connection. The folks who view your videos do not need their own Screencastify account.
- Share a Google Drive link: Once you're done recording, the video will pop out in a new tab. To share the Google Drive link, just click the "Copy shareable link" button in the top right-hand corner. This will automatically update sharing settings so that anyone with the link can view the video - magic!
- Share on Google Classroom: To share to Google Classroom, click on “Share to Classroom” under the Share options. Once you've done that, select the class you'd like to share to and the action you'd like to take and you're all set!
- Export your recording: If you'd prefer to download your recording, we've got options for that too. Simply click the download icon and then select how you'd like to export the recording. You can export just the audio as an mp3, the images as an animated GIF, or the whole video as an mp4 or webm.