How Can You Foster A Growth Mindset?
- Talk about it! - Talk with your child about his or her day. Be sure to guide the discussion by asking questions such as: Did you make a mistake today? What did you learn?
- Encourage failure! - Your child needs to know that failure can (and often does) happen and that it is okay! Remind them that each time they fail and try again, their brain is growing stronger!
- Praise the process! - Instead of saying, “You’re so smart!”, praise effort, goal setting, persisting through challenge, or being creative.
- Remind your child that his or her intelligence is not fixed! When things are difficult, their brain grows if they persist through the challenge instead of giving up.
- Help your child change their dialogue. If he or she says, “This is too hard!”, help him or her change that to say, “I can’t do this yet, but I will keep trying.”