Permit Information

    The Inter-District and Intra-District Permit Applications for the 2020-2021 school year will be accepted starting April 20, 2020. Priority is not on a first come, first served basis. All permits are to-be delivered to the BUSD Child Welfare and Attendance Office.  If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Child Welfare and Attendance Office located at 6024 Clark Avenue, Lakewood, CA  90712, by phone at 562-866-9011 ext. 7410, or by emailing cwa@busd.k12.ca.us

    Intra-district Permit to Attend BUSD (BUSD residents only)

    Students who reside within BUSD attendance boundaries and desire to attend a BUSD school other than their school of residence, may submit an Intra-district permit.

    An intra-district permit may be obtained and completed at the Child Welfare and Attendance (CWA) Office located at 6024 Clark Avenue, Lakewood, 90712.   

    Inter-district Permit to Attend BUSD (non-BUSD Residents)

    Students who reside outside of BUSD attendance boundaries must submit an Inter-district permit from their district of residence if they desire to attend any school within the BUSD attendance boundaries. In addition, parents/guardians requesting attendance within BUSD from an outside district must complete the BUSD Terms and Conditions form located in the CWA Office; and be able to provide the district with a copy of the students’ most current report card/transcripts, behavior/discipline report, and school attendance record.

    Obtaining a permit from the school district in which you reside does not mandate acceptance by the Bellflower Unified School District. Your students permit must be accepted and approved by BUSD for admittance. Permit approval, denial and revocation is based on Space and Availability, the student’s academic progress, Attendance, and Behavior. If a permit is accepted, students are expected to maintain satisfactory attendance, effort, academic achievement, and behavior.  Priority is given to students who reside in a school’s attendance area.  Students on approved Inter-District permit are guaranteed space in the District.

    Procedures for Parent(s)/Guardians(s):

    1. Apply to be released from your home district by visiting your home district’s Permit Office.
    2. Complete the BUSD Terms and Conditions Form and attach the approved Inter-district permit with a copy of the student’s most current report card/transcipt, behavior/discipline report, and attendance record.
    3. Submit all completed documents to the Child Welfare and Attendance (CWA) Office in the BUSD District Office at 6024 Clark Avenue. Lakewood, CA 90712.

    Additional Information

    Parents/Guardians will be notified by the CWA Office by mail of the district’s decision to approve or deny permit acceptance. Within 30 calendar days of request for an Inter-District Permit, the Superintendent or designee shall notify the parents/guardians of a student who is denied interdistrict attendance regarding the process for appeal to the County Board of Education.

    Site administrators review all Inter-District and Intra-District permits periodically, but not less than, annually.

    BUSD does not rescind existing transfer permits for pupils after June 30 following the completion of grade 10, or for pupils in grade 11 or 12 in the subsequent school year.

    All information pertaining to the permit appeal process can be located at the CWA Office. The parent/guardian has 30 days from the signed permit to appeal a permit decision. During the appeal process, students who are currently enrolled may be provisionally admitted for a period not to exceed two school months while the appeal process is taking place.